[time-nuts] LTC6957 Low Phase Noise Buffer/Driver

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 09:23:44 EDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:26:46 -0400, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

>On Apr 16, 2013, at 9:51 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2013 7:48 AM, Brian Davis wrote:
>>> Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but Linear has introduced a new
>>> part that looks interesting :
>>>
>>> LTC6957 Low Phase Noise Buffer/Driver
>>> http://www.linear.com/product/LTC6957-1
>>
>> This is VERY interesting, especially the low noise PECL output.  I have
>> never seen any ECL device ever come close to that noise level.
>> It would be interesting to see how they did that.
>>

>The description from their tech guys is "Very high gain front end. It's a saturating amp rather than a comparator."

What criteria do they use to distinguish the two?  Application?
Differential inputs and outputs?

I am not surprised that it would have lower jitter than ECL if the
later lacks an independent external reference.

I have been looking into low jitter triggers for sampling systems
recently and will probably end up using a discrete differential
amplifier driving ECL logic.