[time-nuts] LTC6957 Low Phase Noise Buffer/Driver

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Apr 17 13:20:09 EDT 2013

Volker Esper wrote:

>> I have been looking into low jitter triggers for sampling systems
>> recently and will probably end up using a discrete differential
>> amplifier driving ECL logic.
>>
> Why discrete?

ECL style circuits on IC's suffer from high noise in the current
source.  If you go discrete, you can use an inductor for a current
source and get rid of this problem.  I think I remember seeing an
IC that was designed to use an off chip inductor to do this, but
most IC designers have a different agenda than low phase noise.

Rick
N6RK