[time-nuts] 10 MHz clock distribution for the lab

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Apr 18 13:37:17 EDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 09:55 AM, Russ Ramirez wrote:
> At what point does one require a distribution amp? My TBolt currently
> provides a reference clock for 2 instruments, and I know of no issues.
> Since the unit came with the 1:2 Mini-Circuits splitter, I expected this to
> be the case. If I switched to a
> ZFSC-4-1<http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZFSC-4-1+.pdf>1:4 splitter
> say, to add a reference to a 3rd instrument, at what point
> does this become an issue if the insertion loss is only -6dB on any port?
> HP provides both the input impedance and the capacitive load for a 5334
> counter, which is nice, but this does not seem to be a standard or norm per
> se in the T&M industry.
>
> OTOH, I don't want to over think this though :-)
>
> Russ

I have a FlexRadio 1500, Racal 1992 counter, HP 3586,
Advantest U3641, and Gigatronics 6061A daisy-chained
off my Thunderbolt.  Don't throw out those BNC T connectors.

The Gigatronics terminates the 10 MHz so a splitter or
something may be required if I add another instrument
that terminated the 10 MHz input.

You need to use lab grade cables if you don't wish to
interfere with WWV on 10 MHz.,

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com