[time-nuts] Remote GPS Oscillator Steering

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:09:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Iain Young <iain at g7iii.net> wrote:

> Two problems here. One the patch panel is the other side of the house
> from the lab (so running a dedicated piece of coax is out without
> taking up the floors..), and Two, 10MHz over unshielded CAT6 is not
> good practice, to say the least, and simply not going to happen.

Why is that.  Cat6 cable s designef for much more bandwidth than that.  The
People use it mostly for Ethernet but it is designed to send video signals
and other high bandwidth RF signals.

You can in fast send pulse per second but you need to design and build
differential drivers/receivers.   Don't try to send an unbalanced signal.

If the goal is to get a 10MHz freq. standard to the lab, I'd send the 10MHz
over the wire.  But transformer couple it so it is galvanically isolated.
 Don't connect the ground references

Fiber would be nice.  they make some very easy to use connectors and look
like logic level ICs on each end.  Send a 10MHz square wave in one and you
get the same thing out the other end.  A more creative idea is a laser.

But if you already have cat6 cable you have what you need.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California