[time-nuts] S743 Marketplace Fariness Act... and freq standard box

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Tue Apr 23 23:46:08 EDT 2013

What I read is that it is for merchants who exceed a million dollars a year.
So, if it is determined it is each seller that is responsible, it would only
apply to those doing greater than a million in sales (not many).  If however it
is determined that it is ebay who is the "merchant," then they would have to
handle the tax collection and payment and it would simply be added to the final
auction and maybe plus shipping amount (depending on the state and what is
taxable).  This is the most likely scenario.  It is more complex than just what
tax rate to use as each state taxes different things.  For example, some states
do not tax clothing, others do, and some others only if the item exceeds some
cost.  As I mentioned in another message there are third party services which
keep track of all this already.  For a site like ebay it is complex but not
daunting task to set that up.

I will spend my time worrying about how I am building my combo Rb and
Thunderbolt box.  I have a TADD-1 amp in there, pulse stretchers to drive front
panel 1 PPS live indicators, a serial to IP adapter to give the box network
connectivity (mainly for the Thunderbolt but switchable to the FE-5680A).  I
have a fan setup in an isolated section (it is built into a 2U rack box) for the
TB so LH can help with temperature, but I'm not sure if I should use a computer
to discipline the Rb or just set it close manually every so often.  And which
should I feed into the TADD dist amp?  The Rb?  Initially I'm just putting  a
switch in so I can select.  I'd love to hear comments on this.  I can post
photos of where I am at in the construction if anyone is interested.

Peter