[time-nuts] RS-232 interfacing

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 13:38:31 EDT 2013

I'm always glad for inputs. I like learning things.

The design decisions were made based on parts in hand for the level translators. I don't like stocking a lot of different parts. I use those for other circuits where 2 bit translation is appropriate.

I usually pick chips based  on cost and technical adequacy. The HIN211EIAZ was near the low end. The version I use is guaranteed for 230Kbaud. Good enough for my intended use. (a microprocessor system I'm working on). Maximum baud rate needed is 115,200. My systems use a 3.3V and 5V supply. So I was not constrained to use 3.3 V only.

Charge pump noise - you minimize that by using much larger capacitors than the minimum suggested. I do. 20X larger.

And yes - send me some chip numbers privately. It may convince me to do a new design. If it doesn't add too much to the cost. If I can trade that off against board area so much the better. And if it doesn't complicate routing too much. I like to keep vias to a minimum to keep the ground plane as intact as possible. Minimum chip pitch I work with is .65 mm between pins.

And then there is the question of board lay out. The chips I chose made that easy.

As per usual - everybody has their own ideas on "best". It all depends on the elements you consider. Mine was not maximum available performance. It was adequacy for the purpose. With some margin. You know the deal. Glass half empty - glass half full - glass too big.

And thanks for e-mailing me directly and ccing  the list. I subscribe to the digest - my time is limited. Although I may misunderstand how this list works. Wouldn't be the first time.

 Simon

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.