[time-nuts] Generate 1 PPS signal on serial port

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 11:25:32 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Eugen <eugen at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but I need it the other way: the PC itself should generate the
> 1 PPS signal without an external reference, except the network
> connection to NTP servers. It's more of a software problem.

The current Linux kernel has a PPS GENERATOR.   See "pps_gen_parport"

Put WHY would you need this? The documentation for pps_gen_parport suggests
only using it for crude synchronization of sevel computers but NTP would in
every case work better for that purpose.

But for whatever reason Linux does PPS in both directions

Be warned that any software PPS gignal will not be great, expect a few
microseconds or error

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California