[time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Tue Aug 6 21:27:25 EDT 2013

That is true, Windows is great for Mr. Joe average, because of the ease of use,
and because of the ease of use and user-base size, a lot of software has been developed for it.
I use windows for a most tasks including software development and just to be compatible to everyone else.
As you say, a lot of software is written for winders including professional programming IDE's etc.
However, if Windows gets a virus or something breaks or corrupt, 9 times out of 10 you are screwed and have to reinstall.

The great thing about Linux (Unix), there is always 101 ways to do the same thing,
If something breaks, you can work around it until its fixed. Heck you can reinstall the GUI if you feel like it :)
Each day I am drawn back to using Unix CLI and I have to say, I learn something new each day.

As OS X roots are in a mature, robust OS (BSD), it is getting a great reputation as a robust but easy to use operating system.
In fact, my next door neighbour has kicked his Windows out and bought a MAC!
He is 82, and learning a new computing environment was not a trivial task for him and his wife.
But he says he has never looked back.

--marki