[time-nuts] Getting a 5370A tomorrow - How do i test it works

cfo xnews3 at luna.dyndns.dk
Wed Aug 28 12:35:09 EDT 2013

I bought a 5370A on *bay last week , and the unit is supposed to arrive
tomorrow.

I have never used such a beast , and as the seller wrote it is fully
working , and passes self test. I was wondering if anyone could give some
hints to test that it's working ok.

I mean the input stages , known defects etc. ?

I have a Tbolt ,a PM6680 Counter , a cheap Rigol DG1022 Func Gen, a
working Linux-Gpib installation , and a Prologic GPIB-Ethernet adapter.

And for clock sources: A Morion MV89,some 10Mhz *bay #310380778466 5v
square out i think, some Pletronics 26Mhz OCXO's, a X72 Rubi, some FEI
Rubi's and some Jupiter GPS boards to test with.

But what do i do for a start ?
Besides opening it up and vaccum clean it ,set it for 240V, and check if
there's a OCXO in there ?

Also what are the input voltage limits ?
I'd rather not start by killing the input stages my self.

I think i read around 1volt for the 5370A , and 3.3v for a 5370B ?

But i also think Bruce wrote that (maybe only the B) would accept 5v , as
the clamping diodes would then be active.

Somewhere i also read that a 5v signal via a 270R resistor would be ok on
the 5370A

Thank you for any hints/tips,warnings or help.

CFO - T-Nut Beginner Denmark