[time-nuts] DIY HP/Agilent 53131A 010 High Stability Timebase Option

Orin Eman orin.eman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 12:44:59 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist <
richard at karlquist.com> wrote:

>  I have an 18 GHz HP 5342A frequency counter, which I don't seem to see
>> a lot, as members of my radio club borrow it. But it  has no oven.
>> There is an option for an oven, but my model does not have the
>> optional oven fitted. I don't know if it would take a 10811A - if so I
>> might fit one, since I have a spare of them around.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> When the 10811 was being designed, the prime directive was that it
> had to be retrofittable into any 10544 socket.  (Note that the
> converse is not necessarily true.)  Therefore you should be able
> to install a 10811 in an old counter, if you have the infrastructure
> that fitted the 10544.  IIRC, the 5342 came out in the 1970's before
> the 10811.

In the 5342A the 10544A was option 001.  Installing it is just a matter of
removing the TCXO, plugging the OCXO in and securing it with a couple of
5/16" 6-32 screws in.  The hardest part is probably finding the right
screws.  The 'infrastructure' is already there.

Orin.