[time-nuts] Phase modulation question

Jochen Frieling j.frieling at gmx.de
Sat Aug 31 15:31:38 EDT 2013

Hi Corby,

right now I'm lacking some theoretical knowledge to answer the first
question, but here's how to solve the second one:

On 08/31/2013 08:51 PM, cdelect at juno.com wrote:
> 2. Where can I find a Bessel table that has fine resolution, the ones I'm
> seeing only have large increments of Mod index. (like .25  .5 1.0 1.5
> 2.0) I need to measure in between these values.

You may go ahead and make your own table by using the "Bessel function
of the first kind".

For example, to calculate the table entry for a mod index of 2.41 and
the carrier, the formula is J0(2.41) = -0.00268340...
To get the result for the first sideband, use J1(2.41) and so on.
It is easy and straightforward to enter these queries into
wolframalpha.com, or use one of the major spreadsheet tools with e.g.
BESSELJ(2.41,0)

Jochen