[time-nuts] recommendations for master reference

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 10:07:49 EST 2013

On 12/12/13 6:31 AM, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> I am currently using both Trimble Thunderbolt and LPRO-101 Rb references.
> What I really would like to have is a rack-mountable unit that is a
> GPS-disciplined Rb reference and a built-in NTP server. (Yes, this is for
> my home. We are time-nuts, aren't we?) I could roll-my-own system for
> disciplining the Rb from the 1pps of the Thunderbolt, and produce NTP
> broadcasts on the LAN but, frankly, I am going to be happier if I find a
> unit where someone has already done the heavy lifting AND done a better job
> with the filtering to reduce GPS-induced error in the Rb output.
>
> So, if you wanted a rack-mountable reference with multiple 10MHz outputs
> that is a GPS disciplined Rb and an NTP server, what would you look for on
> the used market?

TrueTime/Symmetricom made and still makes a whole line of just this sort
of thing in a 1 U rack mount enclosure. Something like an XL-DC with the
right plug in boards, for instance.

The particular plug-in I've used in the past is the one with the quiet
quartz oscillator with low phase noise (since I'm usually multiplying up
to microwave frequencies), but they have plenty of other options.

They also have NTP servers in the same box, IRIG, etc.