[time-nuts] fast edge, rise time.

ct1dmk ct1dmk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 11:07:49 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm willing to generate a pulse (of some few hundred volts)
by discharging a capacitor into a pulse transformer
I'm solely interested is the active edge (call it either rise or fall
depending on the
wiring of the output of the transformer).

The target is 4ns, while ideas seemed to be clear at some point, now I'm
having doubts if better to use a MOSFET or a bipolar transistor
as the switch element. Experiments with MOSFETs presented me some
difficulties charging the gate capacitance having some trouble to
achieve something in the 4ns region. Well 4ns seems hard whatever device
anyway.

I would be happy to receive some comments/ideas that may pop out of your
heads.
Thanks.

hope that my quest for fast rise "time" is not too off topic on this
"time" list...
but... there are so many experts on this list that I could not resist ;-)

Luis Cupido
ct1dmk.

p.s. ( I switch a capacitor to GND with a transistor (fet or bipolar).
that capacitor has a charging resistor to 48V, transformer has a 9:1
voltage ratio. Pulse average power is quite low a few watt only. At the
primary side some 20A of peak current for less than 100ns... and very
low duty cycle. )