[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Feb 1 12:35:03 EST 2013

Joe wrote:

>Back when I was in product engineering there was a VCO design that
>used a "superfilter" circuit. It consisted of a pass transistor and
>a filter cap from base to ground. The gain of the transistor
>multiplied the effective capacitance. I have not seen this configuration since.

They are often called "capacitance multipliers" and are popular with
(among others) audio designers as low-noise supplies for low-level
circuits (moving coil head amps, RIAA stages, etc.).  They are best
used following an active regulator.  If the capacitor is
electrolytic, it needs to be chosen very carefully so that leakage
current noise doesn't spoil the effort.  Also, it is best to use a
voltage divider on the base to give the transistor a bit of headroom
(i.e., base voltage should be a volt or so lower than collector
voltage, not the same as the collector voltage as happens when there
is just a pull-up resistor on the base).

Best regards,

Charles