[time-nuts] Possibly off topic - Jitter on Ethernet over power adapters

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:00:14 EST 2013

The poster is asking about ethernet over power line and not power over
ethernet.  As you point out, the later should have zero effect on
ethernet latency.

There are several ethernet over power standards.  Latency will include
a bridge in each adapter, the effects of a noisy uncontrolled AC power
line when ARQ (automatic repeat query) is used, and the TDMA or CSMA
media access control system.

I suspect varying power line conditions will have the largest effect
because any jitter from the media access control system will be
multiplied by ARQ.