[time-nuts] Logging the grid frequency....

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 19:44:02 EST 2013

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:16:37 -0800, "Tom Van Baak"
<tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:

>> There is a lot of noise on the line.  I'm not sure if frequency makes sense
>> on a cycle to cycle basis.
>
>Hal, it might make sense since the OP is designing a PLL and wants to get a feel for (short-term) frequency excursions. I would guess the whole point of his experiment is to quantify this; not just say there is "a lot" or "not much" noise over some number N of cycles.
>
>So that's why I posted the ADEV plot, which itself was based on timing every zero-crossing (using a time-stamping counter, not a frequency counter).

I have been thinking about this problem on and off all day and would
probably add a sampling phase detector driven by the output of the PLL
or just use a sampling phase detector in the PLL loop.  The sampling
time can be adjusted independently of the PLL filtering within reason
for whatever level of noise rejection in the measurement is desired.

That would return the phase error on every cycle or even every half
cycle.

The whole thing of course could be implemented digitally but I like
programming in solder.