[time-nuts] single board PCs

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Jan 7 01:52:05 UTC 2013

This might be a good place to start looking.
> http://beagleboard.org/project/BeagleTick/

I got a beagleboard mx, but it is for a different project. I'm not up to
speed on it enough to comment if this is the best solution. I can tell
you the hardware design and more importantly the documentation of the
hardware is very good..well compared to the competition. I passed up the
pandaboard because I thought the hardware documentation was a bit skimpy.

FWIW, you can run opensuse on it.

It seems to me if you want to run matlab and labview, you will need a
dual core atom at the very least. But that seems like it should be a
different project.

Network control means different things to different people. If you want
NETWORK CONTROL (as in I am shouting), you probably want IMPI.
Supermicro makes a D525 board with IMPI, intended for low power servers.

> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/ich9/x7spe-hf-d525.cfm
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm

I only know about IMPI second hand, but system administrators swear by
it, as in saved their arse! Remote operation is always kind of dicey if
the remote device isn't working well. With IMPI, you can actually mess
with the bios. Supposedly it ls like really being there.