[time-nuts] Interval Timer Recommendation

dlewis6767 dlewis6767 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 01:32:32 UTC 2013

I am looking to upgrade my older HP 5245L counter/ timer to one with greater resolution.

In my home lab, I have been collecting GPS timing modules (receivers) and just want to start measuring their 1PPS jitter, etc. over one period.

The 5245L will only measure to 100ns with a 1 second pulse (.1us period at 1 period).

I was looking at the HP5370/ 71/ 72 series counter/ timers.  What is the best resolution they can provide for a one second pulse (over one period)?

Do you have any recommendation as to which one of the three models is the better unit?  (Their display technology, age and cost not withstanding.)  All three models seem greatly overstated in price on eBay, seems, too.   Not sure why, ...just supply and demand; I presume.

Thank you for your advice; I appreciate your thoughts.

Don Lewis
Austin, TX (Hyde Park)