[time-nuts] eLoran for GPS backup

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 9 11:54:11 UTC 2013

Hi Chuck, It never went off!! The French are spear-heading this. An
experimental eLoran station was run from Rugby (GBR site) before it finally
closed then the gear was relocated to be run by VT Communications, now
Babcock I believe, based on Anthorn (south bank of the Solway Firth). This
uses the gear that was originally destinded for Loop Head in Ireland (but
cancelled due to local protest) as the 3rd slave on the Lessay chain.
Anthorn is not ideal but it was already a Mil VLF (19.6kHz) site. The
original experiment was mounted from Trinity House, the Lights an Nav
authority for the UK, at their base in Harwich just across the river from
me. The French have attempted to resurect the Mediteranean chain but have
had no interest. Most of the financers of the Baltic Sylt chain do not seem
enthusiastic but it remains on (I believe subsidised by the French)

Alan
G3NYK