[time-nuts] Interval Timer Recommendation

Jonatan Walck jwalck at netnod.se
Fri Jan 11 00:03:59 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-10 23:14, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> Yes, the battery on the PM6681 is a real problem, unless you have
> the unobtainable calibration program. The program uses the GPIB to
> perform the calibration: I have tried to figure out the GPIB
> commands involved in the calibration process by looking at the
> firmware dump... the commands are clear text. I wasn't able to find
> anything.

I did read about the battery before, but did not know how severe the
problem was. Thanks for the heads up! Does the PM6685 end up in the same
category as 80 or 81 in this respect?

I want to send a thank you to everyone participating on this thread, I'm
sure I'm not alone looking for a (or another) time-nut friendly TIC.
Finding one that's, "good enough" electrially (all parameters up to
desired specs), user friendly, not humongous and affordable was harder
than I initially thought it would be.

So far I've seen the Racal-Dana 1991/1992, horde of HP/Agilents and
Philips/Fluke/Pendulum CNT-/PM66* mentioned here. Keeping a searching
eye out for one that isn't 19" and doesn't weight too much given the
frequency of which I will lug it around. Or failing that cheap enough
to double up.:)

To me this so far means I'm primairly looking for Racal-Dana's as a
cheap option or possibly PM66's if I can find them (much rarer here, but
I like that they're made in Sweden!:). Are there any HP's I should keep
a look out for, if I'm aiming for at least 1 ns resolution? Bob's list
(a special thanks to you for the comprehensive list) left me with only
finding either very expensive or very big ones in Europe.

Any recommendations for where to look for timing equipment (TICs
specifically but I guess it will be the same answer in general) in
Europe besides the one all so familiar auction site? (Not that I have
anything against ebay, just checking if there are any secondary sources.)

// jwalck