[time-nuts] GPS Patch Antenna Electrode Tarnish

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Jan 11 13:21:00 UTC 2013

The thing is that it has long been known that the black tarnish
that forms on silver is silver sulfide.  I have noticed that most
of the unwashed masses think that anything that corrodes, or discolors
a metal is a rust, or oxide... even when it isn't.

Silver oxide is not formed easily.  It doesn't happen in air under
normal circumstances, it takes ozone, or a lot of heat.  Pure water
won't do it either.  That is one of the reasons humans like silver
things.

Silver does tarnish quickly in the presence of air borne hydrogen
sulfide, of which humans are a major source.

Silver oxide is water soluble, and forms silver hydroxide, which
is a rather strong alkali, similar to lye.

Silver sulfide isn't a great conductor, but it is soft, and rubs
away easily, and is a whole lot better than tarnished copper...
hence the statements that tarnished silver is a good conductor.

You won't find any strict numbers on conductivity for silver sulfide
because it is a semiconductor, and as such varies all over the place
depending on impurities, past and present exposure to light, and a
host of other issues.

-Chuck Harris