[time-nuts] OT - USB to LPT Adapter - Does it exist?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Wed Jan 16 06:08:03 UTC 2013

Work has allowed another brief entry to this project.

I opened the SS3 and removed the small PCB that appears to be a USB to
Parallel Port adapter.

It's part number is WWAVUSBEPP, an interesting choice.  I took some pictures
of the unit and I can send them to anyone that is interested.  I do not have
a means of 'posting' the pictures.

It has 4 IC's, U1 through U4.  U1 is a CY7C68013-56LFC which appears to be a
Cypress EZ-USB FX2 USB Microcontroller High-speed USB Peripheral Controller.
The data sheet is here:

http://mdfly.com/newmdfly/products/FX56/cy7c68013a.pdf

An evaluation board is available.

http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_56&products_id
=107&zenid=at30m3698fqnnoq42ffmgnmrv1

It uses a 24 MHz crystal on the board to drive a 480 MHz oscillator to run
the microcontroller and there is a part on the WWAVUSBEPP labeled '24.000
DALE 6K'.

U2 appears to be an LT 176333 500 mA Low Noise, LDO Micropower Regulator for
converting the 5 VDC power supply, coming from the main board of the SS3, to
3.3 VDC.  It's data sheet is here:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1763fg.pdf

U3 is a mystery.  It appears to be an SOT device with 5 pins with 'SATRIP'
labeled on the top.  I can not find any information about this chip.

U4 appears to be an ST 24C64WP SOIC 8 pin EEPROM.  It's data sheet is here:

http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATA
SHEET/CD00259166.pdf

I called BP Micro today and the WWAVUSBEPP is available, in stock, for
$101.92.  I don't recognize any markings on the unit that might identify who
made it for BP Micro.  Someone else might be able to from the picture.

So, what further advice and/or recommendations are there?

Thanks again for all the help.

Joe