[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Fri Jan 18 03:59:00 UTC 2013

Hi Ed,

Only now I found this thread , as I was out for several days.
The essentials were already said by others:
The only way to pull the crystal frequency by significantly more than say
100 ppm is to use a series inductor, which will shift the resonance
frequency of the combination L-Xtal downwards. To be accurate: The resonance
frequency of the crystal itself is not "pulled", it is unchanged. Only the
combination with a reactance in series results in a new resonance frequency
of the overall circuit, which is below the series resonance of the crystal
(and above fs if a series capacitor is used).
There are two risks and limitations by "pulling" the frequency with a series
inductor:
1- the combination creates an additional series resonance above the parallel
resonance. This undesired resonance can sometimes have a lower resistance
than the desired one. Its excitation can be attenuated by adding a resistor
in the 10 kOhm range across (parallel to) the crystal
2- The larger the series inductance is, i.e. the wider the frequency is
shifted down, the more contributes the inductor's (low) Q and stability to
the overall performance. For a fundamental mode AT crystal a reasonable
limit is in the range of -500 ppm to -1000 ppm (= 5 to 10 kHz @ 10 MHz). If
you "pull" much wider, finally he crystal is only a decoration, and the coil
governs the performance.

A parallel inductor for compensation of the static capacitance C0 does not
help much at 10 MHz, because such a coil, which resonates out a 6 pF
capacitance has an internal winding capacitance, which is larger than 6 pF.
So you would need a coil which has a self-resonance of slightly above 10
MHz.

BTW: The whole subject of frequency pulling was covered by me in detail in a
publication in VHF Communications (UKW-Berichte) in 1979 . You can download
the paper under www.axtal.com/data/publ/ukw1979_e.pdf

Another remark:
Higher pulling ranges up to +-5000 ppm with still maintaining crystal class
stability can be realized with Langasite (LGS) resonators. LGS is a
piezoelectric crystal of the same crystallographic class as quartz with much
higher piezoelectric coupling factor, and thus higher motional capacitance
C1 at the same C0 as quartz.
More informations can be found on www.axtal.com under Technical Notes -
Technical Articles and publications.

Best regards