[time-nuts] Thermal noise contribution to phase noise

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Jan 19 15:07:58 EST 2013

Hi

If you look at them on a spectrum analyzer you can't see the difference between AM noise and PM noise (provided the modulation index is small). If you use an AM detector, it will "see" one, but not the other, so there is a difference.

The difference is fairly simple, with AM, the sidebands phase is such that they add to each other and the envelope voltage changes at the modulation frequency. WIth PM sidebands, the phase is such that they subtract from each other. The envelope voltage does not change with time.

When you go to look for AM, you set up the sidebands one way. When you go to look for PM, you set them up the other way. That of course assumes you have an I/Q demodulator that can handle sidebands with independent phase relationships. The fancy new phase noise machines indeed do this.

If you are doing it the "old way" you look for PM with a phase detector (insensitive to AM) and you look for AM with an AM detector (insensitive to PM). A mixer *can* do this, but only if you have it set up just right. Zero volts out is phase sensitive, but amplitude insensitive. Peak voltage out is amplitude sensitive, but phase insensitive.

So much fun.

Bob