[time-nuts] One Kg Quartz Resonator

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Jan 22 17:46:17 EST 2013

Hi

I think we are getting two things crossed up here.

The sphere approach is pure silicon. It's called Avogadro and it's quite far along. It does not involve Time Nutty stuff.

The quartz resonator is simply an idea at this point. There does not appear to be a defined shape for the resonator yet. It's performance is very dependent on a number of Time Nut sort of things.

The silicon sphere intends to create a true primary standard by counting atoms. The quartz resonator intends to replace one artifact (the current standard lump of metal) with another artifact (a great big lump of quartz).

There is a third approach (the Watt balance) that as yet has not gotten tangled. It's trying to create a true standard by way of electromagnetics.

Bob