[time-nuts] Serial port / Mouse issue (was mentionedin"Thunderbolt Monitor")

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 01:33:41 EST 2013

>>  http://www.gpsmap.net/GarminHints.html#GPSR_ComputerMouse

David -- that particular "solution" does not work in many cases.

> Shortened URL: http://goo.gl/xFcSc

Sarah -- that solution also doesn't work in many cases. Read the entire 3
pages of frustrated comments that follow the so-called "solution" to the
problem (the start value resets to 3).

All -- I've never seen a robust solution to the issue of rapid serial data
on a Windows NT/XP/Vista/7 machine. It's not just GPS; any serial telemetry
device from thermometer to frequency counter to time interval analyzer
suffers the same fate. If any of you have a 100% workable solution please
send it to me *off-line*. If I'm convinced it works, I'll post the one true
solution here.

I realize there are a number of work-around hacks that sometimes work, or
work for a while. My goal is a single action a windows user can perform that
will then permanently prevent any and all future serial / PnP / USB GPS-like
devices from being wrongly interpreted as a mouse for the life of the
machine.

Thanks,
/tvb

Tom,

Thanks for the updates.  On both my Windows-7/64 PC and my Windows-8/64 PC
I've not had to apply any fixes at all.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu