[time-nuts] Serial port / Mouse issue (was mentioned in"Thunderbolt Monitor")

Stephen Tompsett stephen at tompsett.net
Sun Jan 27 14:48:16 EST 2013

Tom, agreed by no means a perfect solution but one that does work well
in practice if all you want is the serial communications for a moderate
number of connections (I'm currently up to COM25). If you need precision
timing then you need an alternative solution to USB.

The real underlying problem is that Microsoft assumes that any
communications device gratuitously supplying data at boot time, is a
mouse, without an easy/reliable method of disabling this behaviour.

FTDI devices with their device driver should remember the COM port they
have been assigned on an individual system even if they get plugged into
a different port/hub, and this greatly reduces reconfiguration effort if
you change any USB connections - Other manufacturer's devices have a
tendency to use a new COM port number each time they are plugged into a
different physical USB port connected to the same computer.

If you need a large number of serial connections from a single system, I
think you should look at RS232-Ethernet terminal/communications servers.
The timing problem will be even worse than a locally connected USB device.

--
Stephen Tompsett