[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:33:55 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 1/30/13 8:28 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>
>> For once the "best" is also cheap:  Batteries.
>>
>> But not all batteries are the same.  You want one with low internal
>> resistance, so a lead acid flooded battery will be the best.
>

> Most NiCd have very low internal resistance.. much lower than lead acid

Really?  I'm talking about flooded cells not gel.  I think large
automotive engine start battery might only have 20 milliohms
resistance.   But the only NiCd I know about are the AA sized ones.
Not fair to compare.  Perhaps a size size NiCd would be even better.
I don't know.

Got a reference, Google did not turn up much.  I'd expect that some
place there might be a table.

I've powered resonably large transmitters with a bank of golf cart
batteries.  Not because I needed the low noise but because this was on
a sail boat in the ocean.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California