[time-nuts] comparing systems (was: looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 11:58:38 EDT 2013

Yes.  They are not comparable.   That was my point.

I think for what we are talking about here the $35 to $45 ARM boards are
best.  No argument.

But for twice that (and about 10W power) you can have a "real PC" that can
run even VMware and Apache.   To run that $80 Intel Atom board you would
need to add a RAM stick ($20 to $25) and some kind of storage, at least a
USB flash drive.  Unless you wanted to boot of the network.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Chris Albertson
> <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For a few dollars LESS you can get an Intel dual-core Atom board.
>
> The systems aren't comparable.  The Atom part you've mentioned is a
> bare board.  You have to add memory and mass storage to compare to a
> Beagle Bone Black, while for other parts you typically just get an SD
> card.  Then you have to add an appropriate power supply and chassis
> both of which are more expensive for board with an ATX power
> connector.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California