[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jul 3 13:48:22 EDT 2013

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 08:29:02 -0400
Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> There are two batches of GPS / WAAS sats up there:
>
> 1) The ones with numbers above 100 that are geosync and that only do WAAS
>
> 2) The ones with numbers <= 32 that do nav. These are not geosync.
>
> I believe the only ones with corrected / high stab clocks on board are
> those in the second group. The stuff in the first group aren't dedicated
> sats, just leased transponders on conventional multipurpose geosync birds.

I don't know about WAAS, but AFAIK the EGNOS signals are generated on
ground using Cs references and retransmitted by the satelites using
a "bend pipe". Ie. the signals should be of time-nut quality even without
high accuracy frequency standards in the birds themselves.

(Sorry, i'm not able to find where i read about that, so no references today)

			Attila Kinali

--
The people on 4chan are like brilliant psychologists
who also happen to be insane and gross.