[time-nuts] HP 5370B dropping mains voltage...

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 6 21:02:22 EDT 2013

On 7/6/13 5:26 PM, Mark C. Stephens wrote:
> The elephant in the room thing with me is SAFETY :)
> I mean, can this be a fire hazard, what about the insulation breakdown on the secondary winding etc..

Most transformers have a voltage rating on ALL windings that is greater
than several times the line voltage (e.g. 600V), and most undergo some
sort of HiPot test as well, at several kV.

If you're ripping the transformer out of some value engineered low cost
piece of gear (like a $20 sprinkler timer), you might be worried about
the LV winding. But anything sold as a standalone transformer.