[time-nuts] HP 5870B Electrolytic Cap List

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 7 23:08:30 EDT 2013

To all my fellow list heretics who believe in
change before failure,

I have put together a list of AFAIK, all the electrolytics
from the 5370B service manual, their location, and possible Nicicon 105 C rated
capacitors for replacement.

Not on the list, but what I plan to do when I
replace all of the electrolytics, is to add a .01 uF/500 volt disc ceramic in
parallel with each.  I plan to replace
all the tantalums with much higher capacity electrolytics.

The plan is not completely set in stone but it’s
close.

I have 4 units now.  My first one had the display go blank.  The second one had the B channel die.  I just bought two others on ebay for parts/not
working.  One also has the B channel out
but the last and highest priced unit just needed the rear switch set to
internal osc and now it works fine.

My estimate cost from the Mouser catalog is less
than $20 per unit.  For me, cheap
insurance.
If anyone wants a copy of my list contact me off
list and I’ll email you a copy.

Regards,

Perrier