[time-nuts] Lead acid battery noise levels

Gary nuts at lazygranch.com
Fri Jul 12 04:08:28 EDT 2013

The instruments I have used that employed an internal battery supply
were meant to run off the batteries only intermittently. But that isn't
the case for the OCXO. So the comparison has to be made with trickled
charged batteries versus a power supply. But once we get to trickle
charging, NiCads are not suitable. That might be why lead acid was used.
[I'm thinking of the old Quantum noise measuring gear.] Technically SLA
since we are using the batteries indoors around electronic equipment.

Incidentally, I favor shunt regulators if noise is the primary concern.
They are easier to design with ginormous cap filtering, while LDOs can
have issues if the cap ESR is too low. Of course, shunt regulators
aren't green.