[time-nuts] GPDSO is working

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat Jul 13 09:52:21 EDT 2013

If a TTL signal does "just work" with your RS232 receiver, you have
a faulty receiver.  The receiver is supposed to have a dead zone from
+3V to -3V.  If you can get the receiver to function with 0V to +3V,
it has substandard noise immunity.  And then there is the little matter
of what will happen to the TTL input being connected to a real RS232
driver when It sees a potential +12V to -12V input.

I know that TTL level signals used to work with the original IBM-PC
comports, but they were using home made receivers and drivers that
did not meet the RS-232 spec.

The biggest problem with the MAX232 is its receiver was designed not
to the RS232 spec, but rather to work in the same way as the IBM-PC
comports.  It's RS side threshold is at 1.3V, and it has only 0.5V
of hysteresis.

It's not a bug, it's a feature?

-Chuck Harris