[time-nuts] Nortel/Thunderbolt questions

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Jul 13 20:44:18 EDT 2013

Hi

On mine, I did a full reset and let them start from a survey. After they figured out where they were, I did the normal stuff to save the position.

Bob

On Jul 13, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Jim Sanford <wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org> wrote:

> Bob:
> Correct, the Trimble Nortel box.  Replaced the old HP antenna with the 26db amplified antenna which came with it, also mounted higher, and more clear of the roof.  It is seeing 5 satellites, 3 in yellow, and still says RECOVERY MODE.  It also (now) says, SAVED POSITION BAD, which I would expect, with a 300' error in elevation.
>
> Jim
>
> On 7/13/2013 9:04 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I believe what you have here is a Trimble / Nortel box rather than a TBolt - is this correct?
>>
>> If so there are a number of differences in what you can and can't do with LH. Also since it's a different design, the filter is set up differently.
>>
>> That said, it should show lock, sats, dac voltage, and status correctly.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Jim Sanford <wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org> wrote:
>>
>>> All:
>>> My Nortel receiver has been running for 6 days now.  I am running the Lady Heather software, but also have TBOLTMON.  It shows my position fairly well, but I have seen a negative altitude, and am currently seeing 1565' altitude.  Based on local maps and the GPS in the car, I believe the antenna to be no higher than 1280'.  I get lock with 4 to 6 satellites colored green.  I have seen PHASE LOCKED, but am currently seeing "recovery mode" and the LOCKED LED on the unit is flashing, which I think I remember means recovery.
>>>
>>> I have several questions:
>>> 1.  Sometimes position is displayed in yellow, sometimes in white. What is the significance of the color?
>>> 2.  I see TC 100.0 sec, DAMP1.200, GAIN 1.2 Hz/v, INIT 3.00V. When I go to KE5FX site, his values for TC, DAMP, Gain and INIT are very different.  In particular, if DAMP is damping in a control loop, I am not surprised that my very overdamped unit is not locking.   Question:  Are these parameters that will converge, or are they parameters I should try to set?  The heather.cpp files suggests that they may be settable, but does not say how.
>>> 3.  On my plot, I see an RMS value in green, which suggests to me that something is happy with the DAC voltage, even if very different from John's.  The scale is 100000uV/div which suggests to me that it is NOT locked.