[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Suggestions

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Sun Jul 14 13:00:14 EDT 2013

2 Seconds After I sent that, I thought, what am I saying, what can we measure from 0.02-25Khz besides audio or seismic events?!
The 3582A phase spectrum function is interesting.
I suppose one could employ some sort of LO/mixer to get it down to 25Khz but would mess the phase up anyway.

The 3582A is 25Kg, the 3585A is 40Kg.

Actually, looking at the spec sheet the 3585A is 20Hz-40Mhz, not 10Hz.
3585A Residual phase noise (typical at 40 MHz, -10 dBm input), 5 KHz offset: -112 dBc/Hz.  100 KHz offset: -120 dBc/Hz.
Which is about what I get in PN.exe.

3568B is specified -107dBc @ 30kHz offset, I am getting way lower than that, seems noise floor for me is ~-170 in PN.exe.
But I don't know how accurate it is way down there.

-marki