[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Suggestions

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Jul 14 21:19:40 EDT 2013

On 14 July 2013 04:09, Perry Sandeen <sandeenpa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> List,
>
> I just purchased a HP 3585 spec analyzer on E bay

> The problem is I didn’t know the beast weighed a svelte
> 88 pounds! Double Hernia time!

An SA is generally not something one moves around a lot, but if you
do, and have the money, the Agilent FieldFox should do. But they are
many thousands of dollars.

I know it might sound a silly question, but why is the weight a
problem? Can't you stick it in a rack and forget about it? A rack also
has the advantage of making it less nickable (that's the technical
term!!)

You need to deceide whether you need a tracking generator, as that
might dictate what you can use. I've got an 22 GHz (or it might be 18
GHz) SA in an HP 70000 series mainframe. They are more than you wanted
to spend, and are even heavier. But whilst a tracking generator is
available, a 22 GHz one is loads of money. Luckily I have a 50 MHz to
20 GHz VNA, so there is not much use for a tracking generator below 50
MHz, as I can use the VNA. Below 50 MHz, I would have more use for a
tracking generator, as my VNA does not go below 50 MHz, but
fortunately the HP 2.9 GHz tracking generator is about 10% the price
of the 22 GHz one.

The Rigol might be your best option if weight is an issue. Personally
I'd try to convert that into a non-issue.

Dave