[time-nuts] Thunderbolt SMPS question

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Thu Jul 18 06:55:19 EDT 2013

  18/07/2013 11:47

I have been chasing a really awkward BT ADSL line noise / line drop
issue for weeks. In the end I realised why connecting to the BT master
socket with an extension cable to the router stopped the issues, yet
connecting the original twisted pairs BT cable brought it back.... I
had installed a Thunderbolt on the roof and its SMPS was behind a
studded wall in my upstairs office, right near the BT jack, with the
cable running *right* by. I *THINK* either the TB itself, its power
supply that came with it from China, or just possibly a 5V SMPS I use
to power one of David Partridge's divider boards, also next to the TB
power supply is the culprit. The 5V SMPS is just a wall wart, but
regulated and branded. I can easily find another, or even build a
little linear supply for it. I don't think the divider board itself is
the cause.

However, I am unsure just what, and how critical, the demands of the TB
are. Has anyone had this sort of issue with a TB power supply, or had
cause to either find another, or find an alternative? I am not yet
sure if the PS is a sealed up box, or if a repair may be an option. Any
advice please? Thanks.

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.