[time-nuts] GPS Spoofing

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 13:10:04 EDT 2013

What is the failure rate?   The number of failures does not matter unless
we know the total number of attempts.

Do 1% of the ships that leave a harbor to become involved in an accident or
is  it more like one in one ten million?

I'd bet there are tens of thousands of cases of GPS failures where the user
said to himself "darn, it's broken" turned the thing off and went on his
way.

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> It seems you can't rely on the human backup. The UK Marine accident
> Investigation Branch Has recorded numerous accidents due to poor lookout.
> See
> http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/KarinSchepersReportWeb.pdf
> http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/CoastalIsle.pdf
> http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Beaumont.pdf
> http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Seagate_ReportWeb.pdf
> for recent examplesThe other problem is that AIS, a significant
> anti-collision aid, relies on GPS and is susceptable to spoofing.
>
> Robert G8RPI.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California