[time-nuts] VE2ZAZ controller

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 00:40:31 EDT 2013

List,

The VE2ZAZ is a very clever design, but its design
limits its usefulness to many of us.

First, one has to be able to program a
microprocessor.  This is a non-starter
for many of us.

Secondly you have to have a different program
depending on which 3586 one has or sub-set thereof.  If you have more than one working 3586 as I
do, things can be complicated quickly.  IIRC there are six possible frequencies.

While the output frequency is very, very close, it
has offsets.  And AFAIK all DDS signals
have some jitter.

If I was doing it, I’d buy the $50 board from
Fluke.1 with the 10 KHz output and use the Miller circuit to make a GPSOCXO.
the board, OCXO, and IC’s come in less than USD $100.  Also you can use it as a reference for
multiple instruments.

If I want an exact frequency out of my 3586 I’ll
use a HP 333X function generator locked to my 10 MHz standard to inject the
exact phase-locked frequency the IF requires for its model.  And all I have to do if I have a different IF
frequency on my other units all I have to do is just turn the knob. BTW, I paid
$200 for one of mine and $250 for the other. Both came with the 10811
oscillator.

It’s nice to save money.  But the reality of life is that Time-Nuts is
an expensive electronics hobby.  If one
has to nickel and dime every project, then this isn’t a good hobby to have.

Regards,

Perrier