[time-nuts] Oscillator temperature compensation...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sat Jun 22 18:30:54 EDT 2013

RCA made the MI-7016 exciter for their early FM transmitters that was
all tube, and phase locked to a crystal that was in the 100 kHz
region.  The crystal frequency was determined by dividing the desired
operating frequency (88 to 108 MHz) by1296.  It was lovingly called,
"The Iron Fireman".  It had a two-phase motor that drove a capacitor
in the oscillator tank.  It really did perform well, even by today's
standards.  I think it was originally a Western Electric
design.  When the 7016 exciter first came out the FM band was 44 to
54 MHz, but when the band moved up to 88-108 MHz the transmitter
design added a 4-125A double stage right after the exciter.  Some of
these rigs were still operating well up into the 70's  See:
<http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_fm_exciter_unit_mi_7016mi.html>http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_fm_exciter_unit_mi_7016mi.html
I had a 1 KW version of it on Two-Meters for a short time.  I still
have the crystal from the exciter that put the transmitter on 146.40 MHz.

Now you have some ideas to go with to begin your project.  :>

Burt, K6OQK

>From: Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com>
>
>A real treat would be to do the GPS receiver with tubes ;)
>
>Didier
>

>Joseph Gray <jgray at zianet.com> wrote:
>
> >>Otherwise you might just as well lock it up instead.
> >
> >Hmm, a 1970 vintage tube transmitter with a GPSDO frequency lock :-)
> >
> >Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will spend more time with
> >this
> >rig and see what works.
> >
> >Joe Gray
> >W5JG