[time-nuts] OT Prototype Boards

MailLists lists at medesign.ro
Tue Jun 25 12:18:27 EDT 2013

That's overstretched... eastern chips worked quite well, similarly to
western counterparts. Some faulty prototypes could have been distributed
through the black market, but none would've been incorporated in an
official product. Even the westerners had bugs...
CCCP, and PRL made intel clones, DDR Zilog, and DEC ones, and NRB
Motorolas. CCCR also had AMD bit-slice, and DEC clones. RSR was on it's
"independence" trip, and had built mainly Z80 family chips, but also
intel support ones.
There were even original developments with no western equivalent.
It was kind of policy that each country specialized in a particular
segment with minimal overlapping, so that SEV/RGW/CAER/etc. (eng.
Comecon) countries had to exchange goods.
As for the metric pitch, it was probably more a politically justified
decision to not use imperial(ist) units.
At least Czechoslovakian, Polish, Bulgarian, and Romanian chips were
made with .1" pitch. The German, and Russian chips were the "metric" ones.