[time-nuts] Z3801 replacement

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jun 28 10:07:57 EDT 2013

Hi

On Jun 28, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Jim Sanford <wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org> wrote:

> All:
>
> My Z3801 no longer works, and I've not been able to get any new ideas on it, so am looking for a replacement.
>
> I've come across a nice 10 MHz that has very good phase noise (-145db or so at 10 KHz offset), but costs $175 in single quantities (digi-key, I think.)

The OCXO in the TBolt is about -165 at 10 KHz

>  I was considering using one of W1GHz's boards to lock it to a jupter GPS engine that I already have.  Several people have told me this is overkill, recommending the Thunderbolt.
>
> I've read that there are various OXCXs used in Thunderbolts, some OK, some not so good.
>
> Looking on ebay right now, I see a Nortel Trimble NTBW50AA, a Symmetricom, NTBW50AA, and another Nortel.
>
> Does anybody have experience with these?

Yes

>   I'm particularly interested in the best phase noise I can get.

Spurs are what will kill you.

Phase noise is about 10 db worse than the TBolt far removed. It's similar close in.

>  This will be station master frequency reference, and will ultimately lock stations up to 10 GHz.

Simple answer is to run a clean up oscillator at 100 MHz and then go from there. None of the GPSDO's have low enough spurs to really do an excellent jobs at 10 GHz.

Bob