[time-nuts] Answers to regulator choices comments

MailLists lists at medesign.ro
Sun Jun 30 05:12:19 EDT 2013

At higher (load) currents, thermal, and parasitic resistance effects are
getting more prevalent, to the limits of monolithic IC technology.
Why don't consider a more classical approach with external pass
transistor (a much larger selection available), if a linear regulator is
really necessary? Also look up the old Unitrode UCx83y family, for
example...

A mixed bag of IC regulator technologies  were mentioned... the LDOs
(usually with series p-device for positive voltage ones) are much more
picky about load conditions, and tougher to stabilize, let alone working
in parallel configurations.
To equally share the load current, the paralleled regulators should
tightly track each other over load, and ambient conditions... don't
consider it to be guaranteed over all operating conditions.

The 3 terminal regulators were designed for convenience, not highest
performance.

note: LM338 is not a LDO like LT1084 (as TI proudly classifies it)