[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 15:07:49 EDT 2013

From: Hal Murray
[]
As I understand it, the problem with USB on the Raspberry Pi is that the
new/second version left out the current limiting on the power to the USB
connectors.  So when you plug in a device, there will be a glitch on the 5V
power rail as the empty filter caps get charged up.  So if you don't plug
things in, it should work OK.

You might also get lucky if the caps on your devices are small or you have
long USB cables or you have a solid power supply for your Raspberry Pi or

I've heard that as well.  The majority of my own usage has been with devices
which are permanently attached, although the Wi-Fi dongle and TV receiver
dongle I mentioned have been unplugged and re-plugged without issue.  My PSU
is well over the minimum spec.  I wouldn't expect an NTP server to be having
devices continually added and removed, either....

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk