[time-nuts] webcam app to watch for and time stamp changes

EB4APL eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es
Sun Mar 3 12:12:41 EST 2013

When LCD wristwatches became common in the seventies we, in the
frequency and timing group of a space tracking facility, investigated
the possibility of adjusting our new watches against our standard.
We found that a a small copper plate, about 1 X 2 cm, resting against
the display and connected to a scope probe was able to pick up enough 32
KHz energy to be displayed in the scope.  Then connected the vertical
output to an HP 5245L counter referenced to our standard and set the
gate time to 10 seconds and got the frequency.  We learned that the
watch had to be worn in order to operate at the right temperature, the
body acting as an oven, so you has to wear it backside in order to
access the trimmer (yes, at that time those watches had and adjusting
trimmer, maybe heritage from the mechanical ones, laser trimming arrived
later).
Our group became very popular and busy adjusting every watch our
colleagues bought to a few seconds per month.

Ignacio, EB4APL