[time-nuts] Thunderbolt antenna

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 13:58:59 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Peter Gottlieb <nerd at verizon.net> wrote:
> I'd like to get a better antenna for my Thunderbolt.
>
> I see Trimble bullet antennas type 57860-00 on ebay for $30 or so, specs
> look to be 5 volt 35 dB gain.
>
> Would something like this be a good choice?

Yes.  They work well and it has more than enough gain as long as the
cable leength is reasonable.    Use the cable TV type RG6 with
waterproof F connectors.  Those really are waterproof.  Then get a F
to "whatever" adaptor for the cable to antenna.

Actually it hardly matters if the connection is water proof because it
is make inside the 1 inch pipe.

That is the other advantage of this type antenna:  It mounts on a
pipe.  So get the longest pipe you can manage and get the antenna out
into free space and far from reflections and so on and with a good
view of the horizon.    Location is far more importance then the brand
of antenna or the type of cable.   Put with the abilty to mount on a
tall mast you can get a good location.   If this antenna works better
it will be because of the better location more so then because of the
antenna

The pipe is not that expensive and doubles as a conduit for the cable.
 But do remember to ground the pipe.  Give lightening an easy and
direct path to ground and it will follow that route.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California