[time-nuts] frequency reference for portable operation

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Mar 11 04:25:03 EDT 2013

I do the stuff on your list that is easy. Controlling the environment --
orientation, ambient  temp, etc. -- is not worth the extra effort. Much
of what I discussed is that perfection isn't necessary.

The quality of the oscillator probably matters a good bit, but recently
I am learning, don't trust word of mouth or "specifications". Over the
last few years I have accumulated many "decent" OCXOs. But  I don't have
a base standard 10 MHz reference that I consider pristine
phase-noise-wise and until recently had no way that I trusted to make
any kind of phase noise measurements. Recently I got into a project
where I built a board that uses a LMX2541 chip to make 3600 MHz using a
10 MHz reference with a pretty wide loop bandwidth. The board multiplies
the 10 MHz reference up to a point where a good SA can see the phase
noise. Measuring that on my 8566 SA with John Miles software, I learned
a couple things.

First - My measurement setup doesn't give real accurate phase noise
measurements compared to passing my DUT and sources on to someone with
real quality instrumentation.

Second - Comparing my measurements to the very good equipment, it is
clear that my measurements give a close approximation to the good one's,
only not exact across 10 Hz to 10 KHz. But my measurements are good for
a qualitative feel within, say 5 dB, and certainly good for relative
comparison of the contribution from different 10 MHz reference sources.

So, I have bought a lot of 10 MHz OCXOs from eBay over the last few
years. The best phase noise baseline reference I have found so far is my
Z3805. I have lots of OCXOs in the 2x2x1.5 inch size. Many had good
specs pointed at by the listings or word of mouth. When I used them with
my board and SA most were pretty crappy compared to the Z3805. A couple
of the ones I bought were Morion MV89As. - supposedly good, but what I
saw didn't look very great. One of the best ones I have is a small
2x2x.75 inch Wenzel I bought a few years back. It has a custom part
number of 500-11935. But don't buy by name. I recently picked up a 1x1x3
Wenzel 10 MHz with sma output connector and its phase noise looks pretty
horrible.

Some old Isotemps were decent, but not as good as the Z3805 and I
haven't measured some 10811s and 10554s I have in the back of my box
because they are harder to feed DC-wise.

My point is, I collected a lot of OCXOs that are not nearly as good as I
thought they would be. But all would probably make reasonable references
for frequency stability. Not sure if the level of not-great phase noise
from many of them would be noticeable if they were used to lock a good
10 GHz radio. If I was younger, I'd probably go for that experiment. --
In reality, don't know if I ever will.

-Rex