[time-nuts] Is possible precise 1pps?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Mar 13 13:43:21 EDT 2013

Hi there,

there can be a huge difference in performance, depending on how well  the
antenna is positioned. We did a test here a little while ago to  see what
happens to our uBlox receivers if they only see a sliver of the sky  (the
equivalent of only about 20 minutes worth of sunshine through a  window). We ran
them in mobile mode, and then switched to position-hold  mode.

The results are remarkable, see the attached plots.

Most of the time these units only see and track one or two satellites. With
 position hold mode (right part of the plots), they work great. Without it
(first  part of the plots) they are very noisy as the work mostly from
multipath  signals.

I had posted these plots here previously and was criticized for doing so,
because I did not make it clear that these plots show the actual GPS
receiver performance, and the performance has nothing to do with the  GPSDO's they
are part of. Hopefully this clarifies the significance of these  test
results.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 3/13/2013 07:03:16 Pacific Daylight Time, lists at rtty.us