[time-nuts] TIE measurement for arbitrary frequency oscillator

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 18:22:47 EDT 2013

John,

Look into getting a cheap pld reference board. Here is one for $39 from Digikey:

ICE40HX1K-BLINK-EVN

Feed it from your signal generator. Then program a counter that counts down 7362000 steps and outputs a short pulse on underflow thus generating a 1pps pulse. You simply change the counter value to adjust for different device test frequencies. This can be done in about 40 lines of code.

Then get a $800 HP 53131A counter to measure the time interval from your DUT to your Rb reference and feed that data into Stable32 to generate TIE plots.

This is how we do it here.

Cant get much cheaper than that.

Bye,
Said